Dental emergencies can happen to anyone, whether you’re a teen playing sports in school or an adult who has a bad fall. It’s important to be prepared and not panic. Dr. Sam Malouf at Malouf Family Dentistry in St. Clair Shores, MI wants to share what you need to do when you need an emergency dentist.
You probably have a first aid kit at home, so the first thing you should do is create a dental first aid kit containing a few important items to help you deal with a dental emergency. Place these items in your kit:
- Tylenol tablets or other medication for pain
- Sterile saline solution for rinsing
- Sterile gauze patches or tissue
- A small container with a lid
- Your emergency dentist's office address, phone number, and after-hours numbers
Some of the most common dental emergencies can occur while playing sports or doing activities involving contact. It’s easy to fracture a tooth, injure your gums, cheeks, face, or even knock a tooth completely out. It’s also easy to experience a dental emergency if you fall on a hard surface and hit your jaws or face. There are a few tips you should know to cope with a dental emergency. Remember to:
- Clean away any debris or blood from open wounds
- Press gauze to an injured area to stop bleeding
- Rinse your mouth out if you have chipped or broken a tooth
- Apply ice to keep swelling to a minimum
- Gently try to put a loose tooth back into position
If you knock a tooth out completely, rinse the tooth off. Place it either between your gum and cheek or in the container with the saline solution to keep it wet. Remember to avoid touching the roots of the tooth so you don’t contaminate it with bacteria.
Call Dr. Malouf’s office or after-hours numbers and schedule an appointment as soon as you can. Early treatment of a dental emergency means a better outcome. To learn more about emergency dentistry call Dr. Sam Malouf at Malouf Family Dentistry in St. Clair Shores, MI, and serving residents of St. Clair Shores, Grosse Pointe, Harper Woods, Eastpointe, Roseville, Warren, Fraser, Mt. Clemens, Clinton Township, Harrison Township, and neighboring areas today at (586) 772-9020!