What your dentist in St. Clair Shores, Michigan wants you to know
Dental implants are a strong and highly successful answer to tooth loss, but you may still have problems. You need to know how to tell if your implant is failing or if your implant crown breaks, and what you can do about it. Dr. Sam Malouf at Malouf Family Dentistry in St. Clair Shores, Michigan wants you to know what to do in case you have problems with your dental implant.
There are many reasons why implants can fail or break including:
- Health conditions like diabetes which can put implants at risk
- Smoking or drinking which can affect bone attachment to the implant
- Infection which causes problems with bone attachment
- Grinding or clenching which causes excessive stress on the implant
- Bone rejection of the dental implant
- Overloading which causes excessive force and pressure on the implant
There are some identifiable signs and symptoms of implant breakage or failure to be aware of. You need to pay attention to these issues around the implant area:
- Discomfort or pain
- A bad taste or smell
- Redness or swelling in your gums
- Bleeding or discharge in your gums
- Movement of the implant crown or screw
If you think you have a failing or broken dental implant, there is not a moment to lose. Call Dr. Malouf immediately. He can remove the broken screw and place a new, wider screw to support the crown. In the case of an infection, he can prescribe antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications to reduce swelling and eliminate harmful bacteria. If you think you are clenching or grinding at night, you need to be fitted with a night guard as soon as possible.
Dental implants can restore your smile beautifully, but they aren’t immune to problems. If you are having problems with your dental implants, you need to seek out the help of an expert like Dr. Malouf. Don’t procrastinate when your dental implants are at stake. Call Dr. Sam Malouf at Malouf Family Dentistry in St. Clair Shores, Michigan today and protect your smile!