Posts for tag: Dentist
By Malouf Family Dentistry
September 19, 2018
Category: Oral Health
A Healthy Smile Starts with Good Communication
Effective dental care requires a healthy balance of communication and trust in order for appropriate and quality treatment to be administered for your specific dental needs. Start by talking to your dentist in St. Clair Shores about your fears. Be honest about pain and other medical conditions that may affect your oral health and treatment. And discover the many communication tools and educational resources available through your St. Clair Shores dentist’s website.
Reveal Medical History
Like any medical office, it’s vital that you share important health history information with your St. Clair Shores dentist in order to ensure you are provided with the safest, most appropriate care. This includes medications, medical conditions and any other health-related information. Many health conditions, including allergies and heart problems require special treatment before dental work can be administered, so it’s critical that you reveal all of this information when you go in for your first appointment. Failing to provide this important medical history with your dental professional could result in other severe health problems or complications during treatment.
Express Your Fears
It’s not unusual to be afraid of the dentist or dental procedures. In fact, many Americans share in this same apprehension. But when your fear of the dentist prevents you from expressing dental pain, symptoms and concerns, this makes it difficult for your dentist to deliver the best dental care for your specific needs. Does the smell of the dentist make you panic? Do you cringe at the sound of the drill? Open up to your dentist in St. Clair Shores about your misgivings. Once he is aware of your particular concerns, he can modify each procedure so that you are comfortable and confident. In fact, there are many pain medications, relaxation techniques and distraction methods to help you feel relaxed in the dental chair.
An experienced and understanding dentist will exhibit the following traits in order to better communicate with a patient and ease dental fears:
- Demonstrate good communication, patience and understanding towards fearful patients
- Thoroughly explain each procedure so that the patient will know what to expect
- Allow the patient to stop the procedure at any time, usually with a hand signal
- Review appropriate relaxation techniques and sedatives, including anesthetics and advanced technology
Improved Technology for Improved Communication
Today, there are a number of ways a patient can communicate with a dentist. In addition to traditional communication, like phone calls and mailers, many dentists have established practice websites, making obtaining dental information and practice details easier than ever for patients. Visit your St. Clair Shores dentist’s site and access an array of valuable dental information including office details, new patient forms, service descriptions and a patient education library. Not to mention that you can easily make an appointment via the practice’s website.
Going to the dentist in St. Clair Shores doesn’t have to be intimidating. Be honest with your dentist about your fears and misgivings. Reveal any and all medical information, and take advantage of new communication technology, including your dentist’s comprehensive website. Once you learn to communicate effectively, you’ll be able to better understand your dental treatment options, ease your dental anxiety and achieve a healthier, more beautiful smile.
By Malouf Family Dentistry
August 16, 2018
Category: Oral Health
When to Visit Your Dentist
Visiting your dentist in St. Clair Shores for regular check ups and cleanings can help to prevent many dental problems. These visits are also essential for helping you maintain a healthy, glowing smile. Don’t wait until your tooth aches to visit your dentist, schedule a routine check up now.
Some reasons to visit your St. Clair Shores dentist include:
- To prevent gum disease. Gum disease is one of the leading causes of adult tooth loss. If diagnosed in its early stages, gum disease can be easily treated and reversed. However, if you wait for treatment, gum disease will advance to a more serious stage called periodontitis.
- To prevent oral cancer. The Oral Cancer Foundation informs us that someone dies of oral cancer every hour of every day in the United States alone—that’s a lot. Visiting your dentist in St. Clair Shores will help you to prevent this deadly disease because as your teeth are cleaned, your dentist will also perform an oral cancer screening.
- To prevent tooth loss. Gum disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss in adults, which means regular visits are vital to keeping your teeth. Your dentist will help clean your teeth and make sure gum disease is kept at bay.
- To prevent dental emergencies. Most toothaches and dental emergencies can be easily avoided just by regular visits to your dentist. Your dentist maintains the ability to detect any early signs of problems with your teeth and gums, which helps to prevent emergencies later on. However, if you do encounter an emergency due to an injury, etc. then your dentist is available for emergency visits, as well.
Take the next step toward optimal oral health by visiting your dentist in St. Clair Shores at least twice a year. Your dentist can also inform you of important times to visit their office for further care in the maintenance of your smile.